Sunday, July 01, 2007
The classic Blondie comic above is from the an Exhibition in the Swann Gallery of Caricature and Cartoon at The Library of Congress
It's important to remember that many of these items emit carbon monoxide, and can pose a safety hazard if used in a tent or other enclosed space. Each year, approximately 30 deaths and 450 injuries occur from carbon monoxide poisoning from heaters, lanterns or stoves operating inside tents, campers, and vehicles. Carbon monoxide reduces the blood's ability to carry oxygen, and low blood oxygen levels can result in loss of consciousness and death.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests consumers follow these guidelines to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning on a camping trip: